A 71-year-old British tourist has died after being electrocuted in India. Ivan Brown lost his balance while taking pictures in the northern state of Himachal Pradesh at a tourist spot, police said. He grabbed onto a live wire when he fell off balance.
The former pub landlord died when he grabbed a live wire as he struggled to regain an even footing near a construction site, his family said.
He and his friend, David Linder, were visiting the area as part of a two-month trip around the vast Asian country.
Loved ones of Mr Brown said they are “absolutely distraught and heartbroken”. Reflecting on his character, they said he was “the heart and soul of the family”.
Mr Brown bought Norwich pub, The Murderers, in 1984, running the establishment for more than 30 years.
He and his pal were visiting Dalhousie town in the Chamba district and were intending to leave to visit Dharamshala, which is the winter capital of Himachal Pradesh.
Mr Brown was the landlord at The Murderers as recently as this year, according to the pub’s website.
The Murderers pub is a black and cream painted pub, with a red brick second storey.
The Foreign Office said in a statement: “We are supporting the family of a British man who has died in India and are in contact with the local authorities.”
Mr Brown’s daughter Natalie Brown told the BBC: “He was very into photography and he was taking a photo of the Himalayas and as he stepped backwards we think he fell, he grabbed a live wire beside him which should not have been alive.
“We’ve had information from the police and the embassy of a few incidents at this place.”
She said her father “was a very well-known character around Norwich and loved my many.
“He helped many people in so many ways. It’s a great loss to the whole of Norwich and as a family we are all distraught and devastated.