Dominic Raab has requested an independent investigation into two complaints brought against him from his time as Foreign Secretary and his first tenure as Justice Secretary. In a letter sent to the Prime Minister, he asked Rishi Sunak to write to the independent commission to discuss the allegations “as soon as possible”.
Sky News business presenter Ian King reported: “Dominic Raab has said he has written to the Prime Minister, Rishi Sunak, to request an independent investigation into two formal complaints that had been made against him.
“He will continue in his post as Deputy Prime Minister, Justice Secretary and Lord Chancellor.”
In the letter, Dominic Raab said Rishi Sunak must fulfill his pledge that “this government will have integrity, professionalism, accountability at every level.”
The Deputy Prime Minister said: “I am proud to take this as a personal article of faith.”
He added he welcomed “the opportunity to address any complaints transparently.
“I have always welcomed the mutual challenge that comes with serious policy-making and public service delivery.
“I have always sought to set high standards and forge teams that can deliver for the British people amidst the acute challenges that we have faced in recent years.
“I have never tolerated bullying, and always sought to reinforce and empower the teams of civil servants working in my respective departments.”
However, Dominic Raab referred himself to a non-existent independent standards investigation, as the Prime Minister has not yet appointed a standards adviser.
The letter came only two hours before Prime Minister’s Questions where the Prime Minister is expected to be challenged on the matter.
Since he returned to government as Justice Secretary and Deputy Prime Minister, Dominic Raab has been facing questions over his conduct during his previous tenures in the roles and at other departments as well.
15 senior civil servants in his private office had been offered “respite or a route out” after his return was announced, The Guardian revealed Friday, over concerns some were still traumatized from working for him in the DoJ.
Multiple MoJ sources revealed he had previously created a “culture of fear” in the department, alleging he was “demeaning rather than demanding” with civil servants, and that he was “very rude and aggressive”, adding: “[He] wasn’t just unprofessional, he was a bully”.
Since the story broke, two more complaints have been introduced against him, with one in The Sun claiming he had thrown tomatoes from his salad at staff and the other one in the Mirror saying he had been given the nickname “The Incinerator” because of how quickly he “burns through” employees.
Mr Raab’s spokesperson pushed back against the allegations, calling the salad attack claim “complete nonsense” and denying a high turnover of staff in his departments.
MORE TO FOLLOW…