A family was left heartbroken after a fire ripped through their home and killed their dog. The family of Poppy Edwards, 38, is now staying in temporary accommodation after the blaze possibly caused by a faulty toaster ruined the kitchen in their rented property in Penrhyn Bay, Wales, on Monday.
Mr Edwards and her partner Eddie, 40, were not at home when the fire started, North Wales Live reported.
The blaze began when there were out of the property and their children were at school, but the fire still sadly claimed the life of their beloved seven-month-old dog Lola, a Cane Corso.
Eddie explained Lola was the family’s “little baby” and was like “one of the kids”.
In a tribute to her pooch, Poppy said they would gladly lose their possessions if Lola had survived the fire.
She said: “The guilt of knowing she was home alone will haunt me for as long as I live. We will never forget you, little one, a little piece of my heart died with you.”
Three North Wales Fire and Rescue Service crews from Llandudno and Colwyn Bay attended the fire on Monday from 12.07pm.
Major damage was caused to the kitchen and there was heat damage to the rest of it.
A spokesperson said it was likely due to a failed electrical appliance.
READ MORE: Tony Blair accused of keeping ‘second invasion’ of Falklands secret
Heartbroken with the incident, Mr Edwards added: “Our beautiful baby Lola. Since the first moment we saw her we knew she’d be special. Our little tiny horse.
“She stole our hearts and was loved so deeply by everyone. I simply can’t put into words the devastation and horror we feel. It’s such an unbearable loss and the pain is just all consuming.”
She added: “The landlady has gone out of her way and helped us. She’s been great.”
A grateful Eddie thanked a postman for spotting the fire.
Eddie said: “Fair play, the postman saw it first. He ran round the back and banged on the window in case anyone was inside. He didn’t know about the dog.
“It would have been too dangerous to go in anyway because the fire was that intense. I’ve got a mate who saw the smoke from the Great Orme.
“I had a phone call from the police saying ‘You need to come home. There’s a ‘little fire’. They don’t want to panic you.”
They rushed back but the flames had already caused a lot of damage. He said: “The fire brigade asked me what was in the corner in the kitchen and I said the only thing was the toaster.
“We’d only used it about four times and hadn’t used it for two weeks before the fire. It was plugged in but it’s not like it was getting hammered.”
Eddie added: “It’s scary. You don’t expect it. I went to the supermarket to warn them about it. I would say to people ‘Be aware. The next family might not be so fortunate’.
“Now I make sure everything is turned off.”