A dog owner has issued an urgent warning to other pet owners after her beloved dog had to be rushed into emergency surgery for swallowing a common dog toy.
A crossbreed from Wolverhampton, called Loki, made his owners worry after refusing to eat and mysteriously getting sick.
Growing very concerned, the pup’s owners rushed Loki to the PDSA who then x-rayed him.
The scan revealed that the dog had swallowed not one but two tennis balls and they were lodged in his stomach.
Loki was rushed into emergency surgery and luckily vets were able to remove the balls from the dog’s stomach.
According to Catherine Burke, a PDSA vet who provided treatment to Loki at a charity-operated pet hospital, it was very lucky to have the balls discovered when he did.
She told the Sun: “Loki’s situation was a case of life-or-death – without surgery, he would likely have died.
“One of the balls was lodged in his stomach, preventing him from keeping food down.”
Catherine took advantage of this near-tragic incident to raise awareness about the potential dangers that tennis balls can pose to pets.
She warned: “The size of tennis balls, and the way they bounce, means that there is a risk the ball can get stuck at the back of your dog’s throat, causing them to choke.
“If this happens, try to keep calm and if safe to do so, you can attempt to remove it from the back of the mouth.
“However it can be very slippery and difficult to remove. If you can’t remove it, contact your vet immediately for an emergency appointment.
“Tennis balls are covered in a felt layer; which has the appearance of yellow-green fuzz and is abrasive which means it has a sandpaper-like effect.
“Over time it can wear down your dog’s teeth and cause pain and difficulty chewing.”