Firefighters have warned drivers not to leave a seemingly innocuous item in their car during sunny days.
Crews from Nottinghamshire were called after a car went up in flames during the hot weather. They say the inferno was caused by a pair of sunglasses that had been left on the dashboard.
Now firefighters are urging motorists not to leave reflective objects in direct sunlight. Especially as the hot weather looks set to continue throughout the week.
The image shared by Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service on Twitter shows damage to the car’s windscreen as well as burn marks on the steering wheel. The dash itself looks considerably damaged too.
The image was taken in the Nuthall area of the Notts, where the mercury hit around 24C.
Read more: UK’s sizzling mercury mapped as temperatures to soar for next 14 days
Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “The sun has been strong but beware this can cause fire.
“Earlier we attended a fire caused by sunglasses left on the dashboard. Make sure you keep reflective objects out of direct sunlight.”
It is a warning firefighters will be hoping drivers listen to with the UK set to sizzle over the next 14 days. The weekend saw temperatures reach the year’s highest so far, with the Met Office recording 24.3C in Bramham, Leeds.
And the Met Office predicts the highs will continue over the coming week.
Steven Keates, the Met Office’s Deputy Chief Forecaster, said there is a “strong signal” that high pressure would continue to dominate. He added that “dry, bright weather” would likely “continue for most” with little rainfall over the next five days.