CONOR MCGREGOR tried everything in his power to headline UFC 300, it’s been claimed.
The former two-division champion’s long-awaited comeback fight against Michael Chandler was expected to headline the historic April 13 card after it was pushed back to 2024.
UFC brass, who had plans for him to return in the .‘s bid to top of the Sin City extravaganza, however, was knocked back by the
But it’s been claimed The Notorious “pushed hard” to make his long-awaited return on MMA‘s top promotion’s 300th pay-per-view offering.
Veteran journalist Ariel Helwani tweeted on New Year’s Eve: “[Conor] McGregor wanted to fight at 300.
“He pushed hard for it. He was ready, I’m told.
“But after meeting with the brass last week they settled on June 29.”
McGregor, 35, met with UFC president and CEO Dana White late last month after lambasting the promotion for slow-rolling his return.
And they seemingly settled on a June date for his return, which he announced on social media late last month.
Holding a glass of red, said: “Ladies and gentlemen, a happy new year to you all.
“I’d like to announce the return date for myself, The Notorious Conor McGregor for the greatest comeback of all time will take place in Las Vegas for International Fight week on June the 29th.
“Come a little closer… and the opponent is Michael Chandler. And the weight, Mr Chandler 185 pounds.”
The Dubliner has been champing at the bit to get back in the cage after completing a painstaking rehab.
An emotional McGregor expressed his frustrations in October, saying: “I’ve been kept from my living for almost three years now.
“Understand that. I came through what I came through. I’m sitting on an injury and a loss.
“You hear what Alexander Volkanovski said? I relate. I must return to my way of living.
“This is my job. It’s beyond frustrating. … I just want the date. Give me the date, please. That’s it.”